2023-24 Required Verification Documents

The details listed below explain how to find, complete, and submit requested verification documents for the Fall 2023, Spring 2024, and Summer 2024 semesters.

Dependent Students

Dependent students must submit:

  1. Dependent Student Verification Worksheet

  2. Student's 2021 Federal Tax Return Transcript and/or a successful IRS data transfer using the Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)

  3. Parent's 2021 Federal Tax Return Transcript and/or a successful IRS data transfer using the DRT

  4. All W2s, 1099s, and supporting schedules

Independent Students

Independent students must submit:

  1. Independent Student Verification Worksheet

  2. Student/Spouse 2021 Federal Tax Return Transcript and/or a successful IRS data transfer using the Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)

  3. All W2s, 1099s, and supporting schedules

Verification of Non-Filing Letter

A Verification of Non-filing Letter from the IRS is required if the parent or an independent student did not file and was not required to file a 2021 Income Tax Return with the IRS. To request a Verification of Non-filing Letter, follow the order transcripts instructions below.

*The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid at Georgia Tech also adheres to FERPA (The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) regulations as well as confidentiality agreements.

Ordering IRS Transcripts

There are a few ways you can obtain your IRS Federal Tax Return Transcripts. Please review the options and instructions below:

To request IRS Tax Return Transcript or Verification of Non-Filing Letter, go to the IRS website here.

In order to use the Get Transcript ONLINE or Get transcript by MAIL options you must be able to provide:

  • Social security number

  • Date of birth

  • The filing status and mailing address from latest tax return

  • Access to your email account

  • Your personal account number from a credit card, mortgage, home equity loan, home equity line of credit or car loan

  • A mobile phone with your name on the account

Order Online

To order transcript by fax or mail, fill out this form: IRS 4506-T.

  • Complete lines 1a through 4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form.

  • Note that line 3 should be your most current address. It is the address where the IRS Verification of Non-Filing Letter will be sent, if line 4 is left blank.

  • Line 5 is optional if you have a customer file number. Enter up to 10 numeric characters to create a unique customer file number that will appear on the transcript. The customer file number should not contain an SSN.

  • On line 7, select the checkbox on the right-hand side for Verification of Non-Filing.

  • On line 9, Year or Period Requested, enter “12/31/2021” for the 2023-2024 Academic Year.

  • The non-filer must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number.

  • Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506-T to the appropriate address or fax number provided on page 2 of the form under Chart for All Other Transcripts.

  • Non-filers can expect to receive their Verification of Non-Filing Letter within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives and processes their signed request.

Complete Order Form

In place of providing the Federal Tax Return Transcript, one option that may be available is the Federal IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT), which allows you to download Federal Tax information directly to the FAFSA from the IRS. Tax Data is available through the DRT option within a minimum of 2-3 weeks after electronic submission and acceptance of a Federal Tax Return to the IRS. Using this option may reduce the amount of documentation that the financial aid office needs to request.

Please note: If the IRS DRT cannot be used and if verification documentation is requested, it may be necessary to obtain an official Federal Tax Return Transcript from the IRS. Please see the instructions on how to order official transcripts above.

Review DRT Instructions

Other Tax Documents for Verification

Students and parents filing an amended 2021 Tax Return must submit:

  1. 2021 IRS Tax Transcript or use Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)

  2. A signed copy of the IRS Form 1040x that was filed with IRS

Those who require tax filing extensions, must submit the following before and after the Extension deadline of October 15:

  • IRS Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return

  • Copies of all W2s

  • If self-employed, a signed statement of 2021 Adjusted Gross Income and U.S. Income Taxes paid

All required documents should be provided as soon as they become available. After 2021 taxes are filed, submit your Tax Transcript or copy of your Federal 1040 Tax Return for verification. The consequences of failing to meet verification deadlines listed here still apply.

There are circumstances where one or both of the parents of a dependent student or the spouse of an independent student does not have a Social Security Number, an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, or an Employer Identification Number and therefore is unable to obtain a verification of non-filing from the IRS. Individuals in these cases and whose income is below the IRS filing threshold must submit to the institution a signed and dated statement:

  1. Certifying that the individual(s) does not have a Social Security Number, an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, or an Employer Identification Number; and

  2. Listing the sources and amounts of earnings, other income, and resources that supported the individual(s) for the appropriate tax year; and

  3. If applicable, a copy of IRS Form W–2 for each source of employment income received for the appropriate tax year or an equivalent document.

A transcript obtained from a government or a U.S. territory or commonwealth or a foreign nation that includes all of the tax filer’s income and tax information required to be verified is acceptable. Students and parents who filed with a foreign tax authority, must provide a signed copy of their foreign tax information. If a transcript is not available, a signed copy of the tax return may be accepted. The documents should be translated into English and converted into U.S. dollars as appropriate.

Students and parents who earned income from work but are not required to file a tax return in their country in which they live, may submit a signed statement of earnings and income. The documents should be translated into English converted into U.S. dollars as appropriate.