Georgia Tech participates in the Quality Assurance Program and performs the federal verification process on selective populations, requesting acceptable documentation for the data items required to be verified. Verification is the process established by the Department of Education to check the accuracy of aid applications. If you are selected for verification, you will need to provide the specific documentation requested in BuzzPort based on academic year and your dependency status.
Important Priority Deadlines
There are priority deadlines in place to assure that your verification is processed in time to be considered for limited institutional funds.
February 7, 2016 Federal IRS Data Retrieval Tool Available for 2016-2017
April 15, 2016 Verification Deadline for Incoming Freshmen
May 1, 2016 Verification Deadline for all other Returning/Transfer students
Required Verification Documents
The details listed below explain how to find, complete, and submit requested verification documents. Please utilize the student Buzzport account to identify required verification documents.
Dependent students must submit:
- Dependent Student Verification Worksheet
- Student's 2015 Federal IRS Tax Transcript or Federal IRS Data Retrieval
- Parent's 2015 Federal IRS Tax Transcript or Federal IRS Data Retrieval
- All W2s, 1099s and supporting schedules
Independent students must submit:
- Independent Student Verification Worksheet
- Student/Spouse 2015 Federal IRS Tax Transcript or Federal IRS Data Retrieval
- All W2s, 1099s and supporting schedules
*The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid at Georgia Tech also adheres to FERPA (The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) regulations as well as confidentiality agreements.
Federal IRS Data Retrieval
In place of providing the Federal Tax Transcript, one option that may be available after February 7, 2016 is the Federal IRS Data Retrieval which allows you to download 2015 Federal Tax information directly to the FAFSA from the IRS. Tax data will be available through the Federal IRS Data Retrieval option within a minimum of 2-3 weeks after electronic submission and acceptance of a 2015 Federal Tax Return to the IRS. Using this option may reduce the amount of documentation that the financial aid office needs to request.
Data Retrieval Eligibility Requirements:
- Possess a valid Social Security Number
- Have a Federal Student FSA ID
- If married, must have filed joint tax return
Exceptions: The Federal IRS Data Retrieval cannot be used for the 2016-2017 FAFSA application if:
- An Amended Tax Return was filed for 2015
- A Federal Tax Return for 2015 has not been filed
- The Federal Tax Filing status is married filing separately
- A Puerto Rican or other Foreign Tax Return has been filed
Federal Tax Transcript
If the IRS Data Retrieval Tool cannot be used and if verification documentation is requested, it may be necessary to obtain an official 2015 Federal Tax Transcript from the IRS.
- Order a 2015 Federal Tax Transcript -- Note: not all browsers supported
Upon receipt of the 2015 Federal Tax Transcript, please fax or mail and attach requested supporting documents such as 2015 W2s directly to our office.
Finishing the Verification Process
Once all requested documents are received, we will review them accordingly.
If discrepant information is found, corrections will be made and additional time will be needed for processing.
Instructions as to where to submit your documents are listed below.
**Faxes are received by a secure server**
Consequences of Failing to Meet Verification Deadlines
- Institutional funds offered on an initial award letter may be canceled.
- Federal funds (Pell Grant, Federal Work Study, Loans) offered on an initial award letter will be canceled until all requested verification documentation is received, reviewed and the FAFSA determined to be valid.
- Students completing verification after the deadline may be able to receive the Federal funds listed above on a reimbursement basis, contingent on meeting all other eligibility requirements.
Tax Filing Extensions
Those who require tax filing extensions are not exempt from Georgia Tech Quality Assurance verification. All required documents should be provided as soon as they become available and the "Consequences of Failing to Meet Verification Deadlines" still apply.
This website last updated/reviewed on 06/30/16